Below are a few quick tips to help with strength training in terms of avoiding injury and keeping your program on track:
- Warming up and cooling down with exercise is a necessity. Not just with strength training exercise but with all exercise.
- Use the correct form to avoid injuries. Incorrect form can place forces through joints and lead to further injuries. To ensure correct form consult a certified exercise professional, or ask one of the Chiropractors at Unwind Health
- Breathing! Always breathe out when you are lifting or pushing. Never hold your breath when straining. Always breathe in as you slowly release the load or weight.
- Always have a slight bend in your knees, don’t lock your joins when straightening your arms or legs
- It is important to rest muscles for at least 48 hours between strength training sessions. Don’t push yourself to far.
- When you are recovering from being sick, give yourself one or two days off after recovering and ease back into it.
- If there is pain, stop! Stick with a range that feels comfortable. Over time, gradually try and extend that range
- Most importantly – Listen to your body! If you are unable to finish a series of exercises thats okay
Harvard Health Publishing, 2018. 8 Tips for Safe and Effective Strength Training. 29/10/2018. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/8-tips-for-safe-and-effective-strength-training