Excellence in health care takes many forms. Unwind and rewind with the timeless benefits and all over body rewards of Pilates.
Healthy body, mind and spirit…
At Unwind Health our Pilates instructors are fully qualified Exercise Physiologists. We run small personalized classes in a course fashion, with a maximum of 10 participants to coincide with school terms. Each participant is individually assessed prior to starting the course for suitability and to ensure that it is safe to participate.
Pilates is a method of exercising that lengthens and stretches all the major muscle groups in the body in a balanced fashion. Pilates improves muscular and postural strength.
Pilates is a series of about 500 exercises inspired by calisthenics, yoga and ballet. Pilates lengthens and stretches all the major muscle groups in the body in a balanced fashion. It improves flexibility, muscular and postural, strength, balance and body awareness.
Pilates can be an aerobic and non-aerobic form of exercise. It requires concentration and focus, because you move your body through precise ranges of motion. Pilates lengthens and stretches all the major muscle groups in your body in a balanced fashion. It requires concentration in finding a centre point to control your body through movement. Each exercise has a prescribed placement, rhythm and breathing pattern.
In Pilates, your muscles are never worked to exhaustion, so there is no sweating or straining, just intense concentration. The workout consists of a variety of exercise sequences that are performed in low repetitions, usually 5 to ten times, over an exercise session. Mat work and specialised equipment for resistance are often used.
The Pilates method is taught to suit each person and exercises are regularly re-evaluated to ensure they are appropriate for that person. Due to the individual attention, this method can suit everybody from elite athletes to people with limited mobility, pregnant women and people with low fitness levels.
Pilates caters for everyone, from beginner to advanced. Exercise using your own body weight, or with the help of equipment.
To gain the maximum benefit, you should do Pilates at least two or three times per week. You may notice postural improvements after 10 to 20 sessions.
- Improved flexibility
- Increased muscle strength and tone, particularly of your abdominal
- muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body)
- Balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body
- Enhanced muscular control of your back and limbs
- Improved stabilisation of your spine
- Improved posture
- Rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- Improved physical coordination and balance
- Relaxation of your shoulders, neck and upper back
- Safe rehabilitation of joint and spinal injuries
- Prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- Increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- Improved concentration
- Increased body awareness
- Stress management and relaxation.
Pilates consists of two basic forms:
- Mat-based Pilates – this is a series of exercises performed on the floor using gravity and your own body weight to provide resistance. The main aim is to condition the deeper, supporting muscles of your body to improve posture, balance and coordination
- Equipment-based Pilates – this includes specific equipment that works against spring-loaded resistance, including the ‘reformer’, which is a moveable carriage that you push and pull along its tracks. Some forms of Pilates include weights (such as dumbbells) and other types of small equipment that offer resistance to the muscles.
Pilates offers answers to many of today’s modern ailments. There is an abundance of physical postures to choose from, and at Unwind we select those that will target and alleviate a specific area of the body or health concern.
Try it today!
We will lead you on your journey to better health.
Unwind Health. Two words, one goal: complete, optimum health for all.
Chiropractic, Massage, Dry Needling, Rehabilitation, Pilates and Functional Nutrition.
Servicing Sutherland Shire since 1994.
We design individual health plans for you.
A team of 10 friendly, caring & compassionate professionals.
Conveniently located in Miranda.